(What follows is offered for your amusement, since I know of no way to confirm or deny what is said below about Adolph Hitler.)
Students of history may know that during WWII, Hitler was said to have had an uncanny ability to make illogical but brilliant tactical decisions*, and was also reputed to be able to mysteriously avoid accidents and assassination attempts — for instance, he would suddenly have a strong feeling to get up and move, and the place he had been moments before would get blown up.
Fine, you say, but how does this relate to our own lives and challenges? Well, read on and see for yourself:
THE MOTHER: (speaking of bad-intentioned non-physical beings) …The chief characteristic of these vital beings is falsehood: their nature is made of deceit. They have a power for illusion; they can take the appearance of divine beings or higher beings, they can appear in a dazzling light, but truly sincere people are not deceived, they immediately feel something that warns them. But if one likes the marvelous, the unexpected, if one loves fantastic things, if one likes to live a romance, one is likely to be easily deceived.
Not long ago there was a historical instance, that of Hitler, who was in contact with a being whom he considered to be the Supreme: this being came and gave him advice, told him all that he had to do. Hitler used to retire into solitude and remain there as long as it was necessary to come into contact with his “guide” and receive from him inspirations which he carried out later very faithfully. The being which Hitler took for the Supreme was quite plainly an Asura, one who is called “The Lord of Falsehood” in occultism, but who proclaimed himself “The Lord of Nations”. He had a shining appearance, he could mislead anybody except one who really had occult knowledge and could see what was there behind the appearance.
He would have deceived anybody, he was truly splendid. Generally he used to appear to Hitler wearing a silver cuirass and helmet; a kind of flame came out of his head and there was an atmosphere of dazzling light around him, so dazzling that Hitler could hardly look at him. He used to tell Hitler everything that had to be done — he played with him as with a monkey or a mouse. He had decided clearly to make Hitler commit all possible extravagances till the day he would break his neck, which did happen. But cases like this are frequent, though on a smaller scale, of course.
Hitler was a very good medium, he had great mediumistic capacities, but he lacked intelligence and discrimination. This being could tell him anything whatever and he swallowed it all. It was he who pushed Hitler little by little. And he was doing this as a distraction, he did not take (human) life seriously. For these beings, men are very tiny things with whom they play, as a cat plays with a mouse, till finally they eat them up.
* except of course for his decision to open a second front with Russia… but the speaker has an explanation for that elsewhere, which we won’t go into here.
[Excerpted from The Hidden Forces of Life: Selections from the Works of Sri Aurobindo and The Mother, compiled with an introduction by A.S. Dalal. As included in The Basket of Tolerance by Adi Da Samraj. Parenthetical words added by me.]
Questions for consideration:
- Do you think there could be non-physical influences in our human world? Native Americans believed in invisible forces, as did Native Australians, Maoris, ancient Romans, perhaps William Shake-speare, in fact the vast majority of human beings who lived on earth, up until the 20th century or so.
- What does she mean when she says “but cases like this are frequent, though on a smaller scale, of course”? Are you kidding me?
- How about when she says “truly sincere people are not deceived”? In ordinary human life, for instance, when buying something from a salesman, does our craving for short-cuts and fantastic experiences make us easily conned?
- In spiritual practice (or just in life in general), is it important to see clearly & avoid deception? Do you have any friends who’ve been sidetracked in their lives because of not seeing something clearly?
- Just as a thought experiment — for the sake of amusement… if there is any shred of truth in this woman’s statements, what would that mean for the world we live in today?
- In your own religious or spiritual tradition, are human beings considered the most powerful beings in the universe, the “top of the food chain”, fully in control of our own lives? Or something else?
- And finally, do you think spiritual matters could be far more connected with political realities than most people think?
“Only everybody-all-at-once can change the current chaos.” – Not-Two Is Peace